Messi injured but Barcelona go top with Sevilla win

Messi injured but Barcelona go top with Sevilla win

Barcelona have confirmed that Lionel Messi will be out of action for around three weeks after suffering an arm fracture in the side's 4-2 defeat of Sevilla.

Lionel Messi picks up a potentially-serious injury to his right arm in Barcelona's 4-2 win over Sevilla at Camp Nou on Saturday night.

The Argentine was forced off the field after just 26 minutes at the Nou Camp on Saturday and will miss the visit of Real Madrid. The approximate time off is three weeks.

Barca have clashes with Inter Milan and Real Madrid in the Champions League and La Liga respectively over the course of next week and Messi will have to watch from the sidelines.

Messi injury overshadows Barca's return to form While Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde will be relieved to see his side end their four-game winless run in La Liga, there will be concern for the fitness of star forward Messi.

There is no blame attached to Vazquez as the Sevilla man competed fairly for the ball, but Messi's full bodyweight landed on his right arm.

What now for Barca without Messi?

Local media immediately questioned whether Madrid should fire Lopetegui before the clasico next weekend at Barcelona or give him a chance to try to save his job against the rival.

They were soon celebrating a goal too as Coutinho bent a sumptuous right-footed shot into the far corner with only two minutes on the clock.

Messi, though, was then replaced by Ousmane Dembele after landing heavily on his right arm, Barca's treatment team initially patching him up but finding he could not continue. Luis Suarez added the third by converting a second-half penalty kick.

Pablo Sarabia did provide a glimmer of hope with 11 minutes remaining when he's deflected effort found the back of the net to reduce the deficit.

Related Articles

  • NOAA: Winter may be warmer than average

    NOAA: Winter may be warmer than average

    NOAA's Climate Prediction Center issues the three-month outlook every month- so we can expect our next update on November 15th. It also said that wetter-than-average conditions are likely across the southern part of the US , and up into the Mid-Atlantic.
    Trump Calls Elizabeth Warren a Total Fraud

    Trump Calls Elizabeth Warren a Total Fraud

    Phony! He started Tuesday with three tweets claiming Warren's DNA test is "bogus" and that she perpetrated a "scam and a lie". Ultimately, Warren's tests showed she likely has less Native American blood than the average white American.
    Crimea mourns victims of school massacre

    Crimea mourns victims of school massacre

    Some accounts described a large bomb exploding, while others described only gunfire and grenades. Sergei Melikov, a deputy chief of the Russian National Guard, said the device was homemade.
  • IPhone XR early video reviews arrive ahead of Friday preorders

    IPhone XR early video reviews arrive ahead of Friday preorders

    If you want to buy the XR SIM-free and spread the cost then you can opt to purchase it through Apple's iPhone Upgrade Programme. This is significantly lower than the XS and XS Max , and at par with the launch prices of last year's iPhone 8 and 8 Plus.
    World Reacts With Skepticism To Saudi Confirmation Of Jamal Khashoggi's Death

    World Reacts With Skepticism To Saudi Confirmation Of Jamal Khashoggi's Death

    The shadow of a security guard is seen on the entrance door of the Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul , on October 12, 2018. Saudi officials said on Saturday that Washington Post columnist Khashoggi died in a fight in its Istanbul consulate.
    Theresa May offers to extend the Brexit transition period by another year

    Theresa May offers to extend the Brexit transition period by another year

    The LBC presenter and former Ukip leader was fuming that the Prime Minister may agree to extend the transition period beyond 2020. The UK would continue to pay contributions to the bloc while having no say post-Brexit, deputy leader Nigel Dodds warned.
  • Jose Mourinho speaks out on Anthony Martial after Chelsea draw

    Jose Mourinho speaks out on Anthony Martial after Chelsea draw

    Following the game he said: "My confidence has grown but our target was to win the game so it is disappointing". Mourinho's side attacked properly in the second half and reaped their rewards.
    Remains of fetuses and infants found at second Detroit funeral home

    Remains of fetuses and infants found at second Detroit funeral home

    However, Detroit police chief James Craig said no connection between the two cases had yet been established, Reuters reported. As part of a widening investigaion, Detroit police raided another funeral home, the QA Cantrell Funeral Home, and a home.
    Train Rams Killing People Watching Ravan Dahan

    Train Rams Killing People Watching Ravan Dahan

    Reacting to the row surrounding his wife's presence at the event, he said, "My wife is visiting the injured at the hospital". Former Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal demanded an inquiry by a sitting judge of the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
  • Pennsylvania dioceses confirm federal probe

    Pennsylvania dioceses confirm federal probe

    The department is also looking into the Diocese of Buffalo, New York, a source with knowledge of the federal subpoena told CNN . A number of states have already set up tip lines, and others have appointed special task forces with subpoena power.
    Canada reminds seafarers that marijuana is not allowed

    Canada reminds seafarers that marijuana is not allowed

    CTVNews.ca has rounded up 10 actions that will still be considered crimes now that cannabis has been given the green light. He said the new law was created to keep drugs out of the hands of minors and profits out of the hands of criminals.
    Trump lacks legal authority to send military to U.S.-Mexico border

    Trump lacks legal authority to send military to U.S.-Mexico border

    Thousands of migrants have arrived at the Mexico-Guatemala border, with some climbing over the fence separating the two countries. The "March of the Migrant" began on Saturday in Honduras with just over 1,000 Hondurans en route to the United States of America.