Waco Wavepool Closed While CDC Tests for "Brain Eating Amoeba"

Waco Wavepool Closed While CDC Tests for

Fabrizio Stabile, 29 died just one day after he was diagnosed with Naegleria fowleri, according to a GoFundMe page created by his family.

He was rushed to hospital after he was unable to speak coherently to his mother or get out of his bed several hours later.

An obituary for Stabile in The Press of Atlantic City describes him as an avid outdoorsman who loved surfing, snowboarding and fishing.

He is believed to have contracted Naegleria fowleri during a visit to the BSR Cable Park in Waco, Texas, where he swam in the wave pool. Initial symptoms typically in include headache, fever, nausea or vomiting.

Though it's unclear exactly how the man, 29-year-old Fabrizio Stabile, got the amoeba, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is now investigating BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco, Texas, the Waco Tribune-Herald reported on September 28.

Naegleria Fowleri is especially risky, proving fatal 97 percent of the time according to the CDC. He later died of primary amoebic meningoencephalitis caused by the amoeba.

The CDC says Naegleria fowleri is often found in warm freshwater. The infection occurs when the amoeba enters a victim through the nose, where it then travels to the brain and consumes brain cells, leading to death in over 95% of cases, even with treatment.

You can not get infected from swallowing water contaminated with Naegleria.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is reportedly testing BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort for Naegleria fowleri.

'BSR Surf Resort operates a state of the art artificial man-made wave.

Parsons said the park has voluntarily closed pending the results of the CDC testing.

In the wake of Stabile's death, his family has created The Fabrizio Stabile Foundation for Naegleria Fowleri Awareness to educate others about the rare and preventable infection.

According to the CDC, there have only been 143 diagnosed cases of the parasite in the 56 years since it was discovered. Most infections occur from exposure to contaminated recreational water.

Related Articles