Argentinian submarine found in the Atlantic a year after going missing

Argentinian submarine found in the Atlantic a year after going missing

The Argentine government has acknowledged that it lacks the proper technology to salvage the submarine that disappeared a year ago with 44 crew members onboard, after it was found on the seabed deep in the Atlantic early on Saturday.

The German-built TR-1700 class submarine from the eighties, ARA San Juan triggered a massive air and sea search involving units from thirteen countries, including US, UK, Russia and Chile, but the majority withdrew before the end of 2017, with the missing submarine no closer to being found.

On Thursday, Ocean Infinity - the North American company that was set to suspend its search just 48 hours ago - confirmed that an object, approximately 60 metres long, had been discovered at a depth of 800 metres.

The vessel was found in an underwater canyon with its tail partially "imploded", Argentina's Defense Minister Carlos Aguad said.

Luis Niz, the father of one of the missing sailors said: 'I still had hopes that they could be alive'.

"We are with the..." They are going to show us the photos.

The San Juan belonged to Argentina's Navy, and was on a routine mission from Ushuaia in the Patagonia region to Mar del Plata in Buenos Aires Province, when it lost contact with the military on November 15, 2017.

'Now another chapter opens.

Yolanda Mendiola, the mother of crewman Leandro Cisneros, 28, said: 'We are with the other relatives.

Given the poor visibility at the site, the ministry said it only had preliminary information about the state of the submarine, which was scattered in pieces on the ocean floor. They say that our youngsters are inside.

"We are all destroyed here".

The discovery was announced just two days after families of the missing sailors held a commemoration one year after the sub disappeared on November 15, 2017.

Argentina gave up hope of finding survivors after a search helped by 18 countries, but the navy has continued searching for the vessel.

On the anniversary, President Mauricio Macri said the Argentine government has an "absolute and non-negotiable commitment" to find "the truth". During the $12m (£9m) retrofitting, the vessel was cut in half and had its engines and batteries replaced.

Some hours later, an explosion was detected near the time and place where the San Juan was last heard from.

News of its discovery was met with both relief and sadness, with relatives of the crew react having gathered outside the naval base in Mar del Plata where the submarine was based to mark one year since it disappeared.

Argentine police investigating the sub's disappearance raided naval bases in January. The company had previously been contracted to find Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which disappeared over the Indian Ocean in 2014.

Related Articles