CNN seeks hearing after WH threat to revoke Acosta pass again

CNN seeks hearing after WH threat to revoke Acosta pass again

According to a report by CNN's Brian Stelter today, the latest White House letter to Acosta was signed by press secretary Sarah Sanders and deputy chief of staff for communications Bill Shine.

In a decision that sends a strong message to the Trump administration about freedom of the press, a us federal judge on Friday granted CNN's request to reinstate its reporter's White House press pass. The letter cited his conduct at President Trump's November 7 press conference.

"We look forward to continuing to cover the White House", CNN tweeted.

"If they don't listen to the rules and regulations, we'll end up back in court and will win", Trump said, adding, "But more importantly, we'll just leave, and then you won't be very happy".

The White House has already notified CNN reporter Jim Acosta that officials are preparing to re-revoke his press credentials, sending him a letter laying out his purported offenses and giving him a chance to respond.

CNN sought an emergency hearing, saying in a Monday court filing that the administration was creating "retroactive due process".

CNN attorney Theodore Boutros said in a court motion he was asking Judge Timothy Kelly for a new emergency hearing the week of 26 November.

The drama between the White House and Jim Acosta isn't over yet. "The President has broad authority to regulate access to the White House, including to ensure fair and orderly White House events and press conferences".

Revoking access to the White House because the President objects to questions posed by a credentialed journalist is an act of retaliation prohibited by the 1st Amendment and represents a unsafe development in this Administration's attack on free and independent press.

It said the White House expected to make its final decision on Acosta's credentials by 3pm local time on Friday.

Above is a copy of the letter that the White House sent Acosta on Friday.

Even Fox News backed CNN in this lawsuit.

Last week, Fox News announced that it would support CNN's effort to restore Acosta's White House credential and filed an amicus brief with the U.S. District Court.

The White House later backed down on this claim, claiming that it removed the Hard Pass because Acosta asked too many questions. In that confrontation, Acosta refused to cede the microphone to a White House aide. "It's not a big deal and if he misbehaves, we'll throw him out or we'll stop the news conference", Trump said.

Related Articles