Someone burned an effigy of Grenfell Tower

Someone burned an effigy of Grenfell Tower

They turned up at a south London police station at 10pm and were arrested on suspicion of intentionally causing harassment, alarm or distress under section 4a of the Public Order Act. The men who are aged between 19 and 55 remain in police custody.

The model of Grenfell included paper figures of people at the flat windows.

While Khadijah Mamudu, whose mother and younger brother escaped the fire, said the burning of the effigy was a "vile act".

"So many people lost so many loved ones, and many more have been deeply affected".

"I know that the police have been made aware of this video and will work to establish whether any offences have been committed". "Help me, help me!" shrieks another, seemingly mocking the last words of some of the victims.

May tweeted on Monday: "To disrespect those who lost their lives at Grenfell Tower, as well as their families and loved ones, is utterly unacceptable".

The Scotland Yard commander, Stuart Cundy, who is leading the investigation into the Grenfell fire, which claimed 72 lives, said he was "appalled by the callous nature of the video posted online".

The three minute-long clip, which has been uploaded to social media in a bid to track down those involved, ends with the group cheering as the effigy topples and burns.

Another voice can be heard saying "that's what happens when they don't pay their rent".

The London residential block went up in flames in June past year, claiming 71 lives.

The video ends as the model is completely consumed by the fire, with one bystander saying: "Perfect".

Grenfell United, the official organisation for bereaved, survivors and community of Grenfell Tower, said: "It's a disgusting video".

Campaign group Justice 4 Grenfell also condemned the video, stating that it is clearly a "hate crime".

The video showing people mocking the plight of Grenfell victims as the cardboard model burned drew condemnation from survivors of last year's deadly blaze as well as the prime minister, Theresa May, and the chairman of the public inquiry into the disaster, Sir Martin Moore-Bick.

In a statement, London's Metropolitan Police Service called the video "vile" and urged people with information to come forward.

Related Articles