The Johnny Bobbitt story was a scam from the start

The Johnny Bobbitt story was a scam from the start

Moved by Bobbitt's kind gesture, McClure and her boyfriend Mark D'Amico launched a GoFundMe page for the man, to raise money for a auto, rent on an apartment, and four to six months' worth of expenses.

The couple denied the allegations and in return, accused Bobbitt of spending $25,000 on drugs among other things in less than two weeks. The couple claimed he helped McClure get gas after she became stranded on Interstate 95 in Philadelphia past year.

McClure and D'Amico were arrested Wednesday in Burlington County and released on bail, Coffina said.

The prosecutor said "there's a good chance" the alleged fraud might not have been uncovered had Bobbitt not brought a civil suit earlier this year alleging that the couple mismanaged the funds.

The trio were charged with theft by deception and conspiracy to commit theft by deception, according to a statement of probable cause from the prosecutor's office.

"I pulled over to the side of the road as far as I could, and I was going to get out and walk to the nearest gas station because it was not that far away, and that's when I met Johnny", McClure told "Good Morning America" in November 2017.

But the plot's feel-good veneer started to crack over the summer, when Bobbitt, 35, sued the Florence Township couple, claiming that he saw only about $75,000 as McClure, 28, and D'Amico, 39, blew the rest on splurges including a new BMW and designer shoes.

All of the money raised through the crowdfunding website will be refunded to those who donated, Coffina said.

WTXF reports the Burlington County Prosecutor will announce more information at a press conference at 2 p.m. on Thursday. "I had to make something up to make people feel bad".

A homeless man who gave a young woman $20 to get petrol for her broken down auto was then "paid forward" with a GoFundMe campaign by the woman and her partner which raised over $400,000 for him.

McClure and D'Amico surrendered to authorities on Wednesday and pending a December court date, Coffina said.

Bobbitt's lawyer says he has been told the money is gone.

The homeless veteran and couple who raised $400,000 for him through GoFundMe are now facing criminal charges in Burlington County, N.J., where prosecutors say the whole thing was a ruse.

In light of the charges, donors to the Go Fund Me campaign are expected to receive full refunds, he added. GoFundMe is "fully cooperating" with law enforcement officials in the investigation.

When contacted by Gizmodo, the couple's attorney, Ernest E. Badway, declined to comment on the pending charges.

Investigators have been poring over the case since September.

Related Articles