Britain's Prince Philip gives up driving license after crash

Britain's Prince Philip gives up driving license after crash

At the age of 97, and less than a month after walking away unscathed from a crash that left two women injured, Prince Philip has decided it's time to come out from behind the wheel, Buckingham Palace said Saturday.

The move by Prince Philip means he is likely to escape being charged and prosecuted for careless driving after injuring two women in a crash outside the Sandringham estate in Norfolk last month.

The 97-year-old duke apologised over a vehicle crash near the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, in which his Land Rover Freelander landed on its side after a collision with a Kia.

Philip's driving woes began on January 17 when his auto flipped over after he pulled out into a busy A road and collided with a Kia, carrying a nine-month old boy, his mother and another passenger.

The Duke was photographed driving again two days later, without a seatbelt.

Norfolk Police confirmed that Philip voluntarily surrendered his license to officers on Saturday. It said an investigation file on the case had been handed to prosecutors, who will decide whether to press charges.

Friend and biographer Gyles Brandreth previously told PEOPLE that Philip would reluctantly accept that he has to give up driving in public if he was advised to do so. However, one woman in the Kia suffered a broken wrist and the other sustained cuts to her knee.

The palace said the royal made the decision after "careful consideration".

He blamed the low, bright sun for obscuring his vision.

Fairweather, 46, told the Sunday Mirror she was "chuffed" with the letter, adding: "I thought it was really nice that he signed off as "Philip" and not the formal title".

Police said Philip and the other driver both passed blood-alcohol breath tests.

In 2016, the Duke drove Barack Obama and his wife Michelle to lunch at Windsor Castle, prompting the former US President to remark: "I have to say I have never been driven by a Duke of Edinburgh before, but I can report it was very smooth riding".

Philip was roundly criticised and police issued him with "suitable words of advice" and said "any appropriate action" would be taken if necessary.

Related Articles

  • Ford Invests USD 1 Billion in Chicago Plants

    Ford Invests USD 1 Billion in Chicago Plants

    According to CNBC , Ford will put the money in two facilities specified as the assembly and stamping plants in Chicago . Technology upgrades will also be made including new collaborative robotics and 3D printed tools.
    RBC lands advisory record with $66bn SunTrust-BB&T merger

    RBC lands advisory record with $66bn SunTrust-BB&T merger

    In December, BB&T said it was eliminating its Center City Allentown regional headquarters as well as positions held by Scott V. BB&T shareholders will own about 57 percent and SunTrust shareholders will own about 43 percent of the business.
    Memphis Grizzlies' Mike Conley Prefers To Be Traded To The Eastern Conference

    Memphis Grizzlies' Mike Conley Prefers To Be Traded To The Eastern Conference

    Four more players from that 13-man roster are also now all former Raptors: Wright, Jakob Poeltl, Lorenzo Brown and Bebe Nogueira. Either not much, or that was an excellent poker face he displayed.
  • NBA Trade Grades: Raptors land Marc Gasol from Grizzlies

    NBA Trade Grades: Raptors land Marc Gasol from Grizzlies

    As an assistant he had worked closely with Valanciunas over many years, often travelling overseas in the summer to see him. The coach was unusually soft-spoken after the win, and said it had been a tough day.
    State of the Union 2019: What to watch

    State of the Union 2019: What to watch

    The committee, which is tasked with negotiating a compromise on border security, met for the first time last week. Instead, she said funding for additional technology and more ports of entry are "part of the negotiation".
    Why Moto G7 Plus is set aside

    Why Moto G7 Plus is set aside

    All do run the Snapdragon 632, have fingerprint readers, and that clean version of Android we've come to expect from Motorola. We have four models in total to share with you today: Moto G7 , Moto G7 Plus , Moto G7 Power , and Moto G7 Play .
  • This law professor explains the Supreme Court’s plan to kill abortion rights

    This law professor explains the Supreme Court’s plan to kill abortion rights

    In rejecting it, the Court said that the law was not medically justified and constituted an "undue burden" on abortion access. The annual cutoff for cases has passed, so this matter would be heard late this year, with a decision likely in early 2020.
    VA. LT. Gov. removed from DLGA after 2nd assault accuser comes forward

    VA. LT. Gov. removed from DLGA after 2nd assault accuser comes forward

    And then Attorney General Mark Herring admitted that he once donned blackface to perform as a rapper at a college party in 1980. Watson's representatives declined to provide further documentation and said their client would not be talking to journalists.
    Thailand's king condemns bid by sister to become PM

    Thailand's king condemns bid by sister to become PM

    Thailand's King Vajiralongkorn has denounced as "inappropriate" his sister's unprecedented bid to run for prime minister. The coup Prayuth led unseated a Pheu Thai Party-led administration headed by Yingluck Shinawatra, Thaksin's sister.
  • Donald Cerrone-Conor McGregor On For This Summer, Says

    Donald Cerrone-Conor McGregor On For This Summer, Says "Cowboy"

    Cerrone and McGregor exchanged messages via social media earlier this year after "Cowboy" scored a victory vs. However, White, talking to MMA Junkie on Friday, admitted he would "like to see Conor fight this summer".
    Russian Federation  welcomes Trump's offer of new nuclear pact, awaits details

    Russian Federation welcomes Trump's offer of new nuclear pact, awaits details

    Ryabkov said the United States had not sent Moscow any concrete proposals for a new pact. He acknowledged that a future pact was unlikely to be as sweeping as the INF treaty.
    6 people arrested in Australia after largest-ever meth seizure in US

    6 people arrested in Australia after largest-ever meth seizure in US

    The drugs were detected by United States authorities on January 9 with 25kgs of cocaine and 5kgs of heroin also located. Authorities are warning that worldwide drug syndicates are stepping up efforts to get their drugs into Australia.