Man dies after e-cigarette explodes in his face

Man dies after e-cigarette explodes in his face

A man who was using a vape pen for the first time died after it exploded in his face and severed his carotid artery.

The medical examiner ruled William Brown's cause of death as penetrating trauma from an exploding vaporizer pen.

William Brown, from Fort Worth, Texas, was using the vape while in his auto outside the Smoke and Vape DZ store last month, just moments after buying the device, says his grandmother.

Alice Brown said a piece of the e-cigarette lodged in William Eric Brown's throat outside a vape shop.

'It just all seems so unreal. "That three-piece thing went into his throat and stayed there", she continued.

The incident is believed to be the second known reported death in the USA caused by an exploding vape pen.

William Brown died two days after the January 27 explosion, which sent shrapnel into his neck and skull.

Smoke and Vape DZ told CBS Dallas that Brown didn't buy anything, but wanted help using a Mechanical Mod style vape pen.

"He should have made it if they had done the surgery", Alice Brown told KTVT. He suffered from asthma and was told that a specialized vape pen might help improve his breathing, she told the newspaper. The agency notes that most explosions occur while the device's battery is charging.

Electronic cigarettes, or vape pens, are battery-operated devices that heat a liquid to generate vapor - which may contain nicotine - that users can inhale. Thombs estimated that there were 2,035 e-cigarette explosions and burn injuries in the United States between 2015 and 2017.

Doctors never operated on Brown, his family said.

E-cigarettes are battery-operated and produce an aerosol by heating a liquid, usually containing nicotine, flavorings and other chemicals, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The CDC says more than one in every 10 adults has tried an e-cigarette.

Last May, a man in St. Petersburg, Florida, was killed when his e-cigarette exploded and shot a piece of the device into his head.

The Food and Drug Administration has warned vaping device users that there is evidence that "battery-related issues may lead to vape explosions".

Related Articles