WBC Confirms Fury And Wilder Rematch 'Officially Not Happening Next'

Deontay Wilder laid the blame for his rematch with Tyson Fury falling through at the feet of his British rival.

Last week, WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman said he was "confident" the fight would take place.

"The WBC has received communications as our process and while Wilder confirmed its willingness to fight the rematch, Fury will take on another fight with expectations to do rematch at a later date".

Last week, Britain's Fury, 29, signed a lucrative deal with U.S. broadcaster ESPN and will receive a reported fee of £80m for five fights.

With Anthony Joshua set to make his USA debut against unbeaten New Yorker, Jarrell "Big Baby" Miller, Fury vs Wilder II seemed to be a no-brainer but now that Fury is getting radio silence from "The Bronze Bomber", it looks like they will both have to go in a different direction for their next trip through the ropes.

"Tyson told me that before he fought Deontay Wilder, they would text each other", Nelson told IFL TV.

Wilder is now likely to defend his title against mandatory challenger Dominic Breazeale. The latest cut-off was set for Tuesday, before the sanctioning body confirmed Fury's plans to seek an alternative opponent.

He added that 30-year-old Brit is keen to "build his profile in the United States on ESPN to make PPV fight a bigger event".

Anthony Joshua's promoter, Eddie Hearn, told Sportsmail the sudden availability of Wilder will have no bearing on Joshua's forthcoming fight with Jarrell Miller, but will make it "easier" to create a subsequent Joshua-Wilder unification.

Related Articles