Facebook Says It "Quickly" Removed New Zealand Shooter's Video

Facebook Says It

"We're also removing any praise or support for the crime and the shooter or shooters as soon as we're aware".

She said Facebook is working directly with New Zealand police as they carry out their investigation. Earlier past year, YouTube star Logan Paul posted a clip of a body hanging from a tree in Japan, prompting the Google-owned video portal to remove his channels from a preferred advertising program.

Suspending the Facebook account, the social media site said, "Police alerted us to a video on Facebook shortly after the livestream commenced and we quickly removed both the shooter's Facebook and Instagram accounts and the video".

Videos and posts that glorify violence are against Facebook's rules, but Facebook has drawn criticism for responding slowly to such items, including video of a slaying in Cleveland and a live-streamed killing of a baby in Thailand.

The gunman reportedly broadcast 17 minutes of the attack. Twitter and YouTube owner Google also said they were working to remove the footage from their sites. "Please know we are working vigilantly to remove any violent footage".

But the viral reach of yet another obscene video caused politicians around the globe on Friday to voice the same conclusion: Tech companies are failing.

Facebook also issued a statement saying it had taken down the suspected shooter's Facebook and Instagram accounts and removed the video he posted of the attack.

Grieving members of the public following a shooting at the Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, March 15, 2019.

"I think something must have changed in him during the years he spent travelling overseas", she added.

Users intent on sharing the violent video took several approaches ― doing so at times with an nearly military precision. Others shared shorter sections or screenshots from the gunman's livestream.

New Zealand massacre shows how online users find ways to share violent videos

In footage that at times resembled scenes from a first-person shooter video game, the mosque shooter was seen spraying terrified worshippers with bullets, sometimes re-firing at people he had already cut down.

Exact matches of removed material can not be uploaded again at YouTube and Facebook.

According to CNN, Facebook's human moderators and its artificial intelligence were unable to detect the launch of the livestream.

"It is clear that this can now only be described as a terrorist attack", Ardern said.

Ionescu said that's because video and images are harder to block than words.

"This is a case where you're giving a platform for hate", Democratic US Senator Cory Booker, who is running for president, said at a campaign event in New Hampshire.

The YouTube sensation has been engaged in an online battle over which channel is the most subscribed to, and his followers have taken to posting messages encouraging others to "subscribe to PewDiePie".

Britain's interior minister also spoke out.

He said the company condemned "the actions of these frightful persons and their disgusting use of our app for these purposes".

Related Articles