Trump signs Sept. 11 victims' compensation fund extension

Trump signs Sept. 11 victims' compensation fund extension

President Donald Trump on Monday signed legislation to help 9/11 first responders and the families of ones who died from health complications, even though the New Yorker and his administration never publicly got behind the bill.

The bill, which cleared Congress with bipartisan support earlier this month, is guaranteed through 2092. "But we can and we will keep our nation's promise to you", the president said in the White House Rose Garden, flanked by first responders. The family of the late Luis Alvarez, a retired NYPD bomb squad detective who testified before Congress to advocate for the extension of the fund, was also in attendance.

Trump said he was "deeply honored" to be in the presence of more than 60 first responders.

More than 40,000 people have applied to the fund, which covers illnesses potentially related to being at the World Trade Center site, the Pentagon or Shanksville, Pennsylvania, after the attacks.

Stewart, who made the cause a personal passion project, tore into the lawmakers' inaction when he testified alongside Alvarez, creating a moment that was frequently replayed on cable news. "Thousands more poured in to continue to fight for their brothers and sisters", Stewart said before the committee. "Eighteen years later, do yours".

"With 20,000 claims now awaiting consideration, and more certain to be filed in the months and years ahead, today's action ensures that the VCF can continue in its successful effort to compensate every deserving individual impacted by the tragic events of September 11", Attorney General William Barr said in statement using an acronym to refer to the fund.

Other notable attendees at the event included Vice President Mike Pence, Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen, and a number of Republican senators. Both cited the need to eliminate unnecessary spending and offset the measure with budget cuts.

U.S. Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) speaks at a protest calling for the impeachment of U.S. President Donald Trump on June 15, 2019 in New York City.

Trump claims without evidence to an audience that includes 9/11 first responders: "I was down there [at Ground Zero] also, but I'm not considering myself a first responder, but I was down there".

It has not been proven that Trump was at Ground Zero looking for survivors following the attacks, according to Snopes, despite his claims.

Related Articles

  • UK Fortnite participant 2nd in World Cup

    UK Fortnite participant 2nd in World Cup

    The Fortnite World Cup brought together 10,000 attendees in the Arthur Ashe tennis stadium, and over 180,000 more viewed online. His mother, Lisa Dallman, told the BBC: "If I'm honest with you I've been quite against him gaming".
    Trump threatens 'reciprocal action' on French tax of American tech companies

    Trump threatens 'reciprocal action' on French tax of American tech companies

    The tax is created to stop multinationals from avoiding taxes by setting up headquarters in low-tax European Union countries. France not backing down French Economy Minister Bruno Le Maire indicated that Paris was not backing down on its tech taxes.
    Johnson and Trump hail 'unparalleled' trade opportunities

    Johnson and Trump hail 'unparalleled' trade opportunities

    It is nearly certain that opposition legislators will try to topple Johnson's government in a vote of no-confidence in September. The new Prime Minister promised the United Kingdom would leave the European Union on 31st October "no ifs or buts".
  • Teenage winger Elliott signs for Liverpool

    Teenage winger Elliott signs for Liverpool

    In a post on his Instagram account, Elliot said: "I am so happy to be able to announce that I have signed for Liverpool". The Reds have also signed Sepp van der Berg from PEC Zwolle this season.
    Britain unfairly singled out RT television channel: Russia

    Britain unfairly singled out RT television channel: Russia

    The Russian network has launched a legal challenge to Ofcom, which has the authority to cancel broadcasting licenses. She also called the amount of the fine "particularly inappropriate and disproportionate".
    Arsenal downed by Dembele double as Lacazette suffers ankle injury

    Arsenal downed by Dembele double as Lacazette suffers ankle injury

    Saliba signed a long term contract with Arsenal and a transfer fee of around £27 million was splashed out to recruit his services. An 18-year-old AS Saint Etienne defender, Saliba was also announced an hour later of the other signing yesterday.
  • Listen to Burna Boy's Latest Album 'African Giant'

    People are asking why Burna Boy didn't feature his brother Shatta Wale on this much-anticipated album. There have been reactions from fans who have already listened to some of the songs on the album.
    Americans confess to stabbing police officer to death in Rome, authorities say

    Americans confess to stabbing police officer to death in Rome, authorities say

    After police were contacted by the victim, officers met the American suspects under the guise of retrieving the backpack. The owner of the bag reported the theft to local police who arranged to meet Hjorth and Lee undercover.
    Israeli Arrow interceptor missile completed flight test in Alaska

    Israeli Arrow interceptor missile completed flight test in Alaska

    The U.S. military said last week that it had taken out two Iranian drones in the Strait of Hormuz, claims Tehran has denied.
  • The Original DOOM Trilogy Is Now Available on PS4

    The Original DOOM Trilogy Is Now Available on PS4

    Doom III was listed for £8 for the base game and the Resurrection of Evil and The Lost Missions expansion packs. Doom and Doom II are priced at $5 each while Doom 3 costs $10 due to the drastic jump between the generations.
    U.S.  to continue diplomatic engagement with DPRK, says State Department

    U.S. to continue diplomatic engagement with DPRK, says State Department

    The decision to reject the aid may derive from the country's desire to project strength and independence ahead of the next talks. Reacting to the launch, President Trump stated that the tests did not bother him, as they only involved short-range missiles .

    Dillian Whyte adamant he beat Oscar Rivas 'fair and square'

    If found guilty, he could expect an eight-year ban, although life bans can be given, depending on the circumstances of the case. Whyte beat Rivas on Saturday night on a points decision, having been dropped hard earlier in the bout.