Two US servicemembers slain in combat in Afghanistan

Two US servicemembers slain in combat in Afghanistan

Not counting Monday's casualties, 53 service members have been killed in hostile action in Afghanistan since the formal drawdown of combat operations in 2014 following a 13-year war.

A news release by North Atlantic Treaty Organisation stated only that the soldiers had been killed, and that in accordance with department of defence policy, their names would not be released until 24 hours after the soldiers' families had been notified.

Pompeo also suggested that troop withdrawal is connected to how the United States president views his job performance, saying a reduction of forces is "not only my expectation, it would be job-enhancing".

In a June visit to Afghanistan's capital city, Pompeo said that the USA had made it clear to the Taliban that they were "prepared to remove our forces", but had not yet agreed on a timeline.

Washington was ultimately forced to engage into direct talks with the Taliban and in January reached an "agreement on principle" that all the foreign troops must leave Afghanistan.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo walks from a helicopter to return to his plane at the end of an unannounced visit to Kabul, Afghanistan, June 25, 2019. Draw down. Reduce", Pompeo said Monday in Washington, adding with a smile, "It's not only my expectation. Khalilzad was still in Afghanistan on Monday after more than a week of meetings.

Pompeo said Trump had directed him to reduce USA troops before the 2020 presidential election. The service branch of the two troops was not identified, nor was their location in Afghanistan or the nature of their deaths.

"That's my directive from the president of the United States". He recently stirred outrage by suggesting that he could bring a swift end to the war by obliterating the nation. "We're like policemen. We're not fighting a war. I just don't want to kill 10 million people".

The disclosure of a timeline will add to speculation that Trump is prepared to strike any deal with the Taliban insurgency that will allow for at least partial US withdrawal before American voters go to the polls, irrespective of concerns by the USA -backed government in Kabul.

Related Articles

  • Teenage winger Elliott signs for Liverpool

    In a post on his Instagram account, Elliot said: "I am so happy to be able to announce that I have signed for Liverpool". The Reds have also signed Sepp van der Berg from PEC Zwolle this season.
    Final Alpine stage of Tour de France cut by more than half

    Final Alpine stage of Tour de France cut by more than half

    However, several teams were thought to be unhappy with the outcome and the results may take some time to become official. The Col d'Iseran, the highest paved road in Europe, appears to be cursed for the Tour de France .
    The Case For An Annual Major League Baseball Game In Nebraska

    The Case For An Annual Major League Baseball Game In Nebraska

    Naturally the sellout crowd was impressive - per ESPN, 12 MLB teams currently average fewer than 25,454 fans per game. The game attracted a sellout crowd of 25,454 to TD Ameritrade Park, even though Gordon was sidelined due to injury.
  • Britain unfairly singled out RT television channel: Russia

    Britain unfairly singled out RT television channel: Russia

    The Russian network has launched a legal challenge to Ofcom, which has the authority to cancel broadcasting licenses. She also called the amount of the fine "particularly inappropriate and disproportionate".
    Arsenal downed by Dembele double as Lacazette suffers ankle injury

    Arsenal downed by Dembele double as Lacazette suffers ankle injury

    Saliba signed a long term contract with Arsenal and a transfer fee of around £27 million was splashed out to recruit his services. An 18-year-old AS Saint Etienne defender, Saliba was also announced an hour later of the other signing yesterday.
    American allegedly says he killed policeman in Rome

    American allegedly says he killed policeman in Rome

    While the police have only given minimal details, there are numerous conflicting reports in the Italian media about the murder. Lee "has maintained his right to remain silent", his lawyer Francesco Codini told media outside Rome's Regina Coeli prison.
  • Trump signs Sept. 11 victims' compensation fund extension

    Trump signs Sept. 11 victims' compensation fund extension

    Both cited the need to eliminate unnecessary spending and offset the measure with budget cuts. Trump said he was "deeply honored" to be in the presence of more than 60 first responders.
    Trump threatens 'reciprocal action' on French tax of American tech companies

    Trump threatens 'reciprocal action' on French tax of American tech companies

    The tax is created to stop multinationals from avoiding taxes by setting up headquarters in low-tax European Union countries. France not backing down French Economy Minister Bruno Le Maire indicated that Paris was not backing down on its tech taxes.
    Twin babies found dead in auto  after father 'forgot about them'

    Twin babies found dead in auto after father 'forgot about them'

    So, so sad for the poor infants, and all of their family, friends, and loved ones now grieving in their wake. Rodriguez was at work at a nearby VA hospital while the children were in the auto , CNN reports .
  • The Original DOOM Trilogy Is Now Available on PS4

    The Original DOOM Trilogy Is Now Available on PS4

    Doom III was listed for £8 for the base game and the Resurrection of Evil and The Lost Missions expansion packs. Doom and Doom II are priced at $5 each while Doom 3 costs $10 due to the drastic jump between the generations.
    Iran test-fires ballistic missile amid increased tensions with US

    Iran test-fires ballistic missile amid increased tensions with US

    The reported ballistic missile launch comes in the wake of the recently strained relations between Tehran and the West. The US official speculated that the test was part of Iran's efforts to improve the range and accuracy of its missiles.
    Dillian Whyte adamant he beat Oscar Rivas 'fair and square'

    Dillian Whyte adamant he beat Oscar Rivas 'fair and square'

    If found guilty, he could expect an eight-year ban, although life bans can be given, depending on the circumstances of the case. Whyte beat Rivas on Saturday night on a points decision, having been dropped hard earlier in the bout.