RCMP find item that may be connected to McLeod and Schmegelsky investigation

RCMP find item that may be connected to McLeod and Schmegelsky investigation

A completed autopsy on the two bodies confirm their identity, and the results have found that the teens committed suicide by gun.

It was not clear exactly when the men died.

The autopsies suggest both individuals were dead for several days before they were found, but the exact time of their deaths is not known.

Two firearms were also found near the area and police are analysing whether these weapons were connected to the homicides in B.C.

The pair is also suspected in the killings of a young couple, Lucas Fowler, 23, an Australian, and Chynna Deese, 24, an American. The hunt for two B.C. murder suspects is over.

Police remain in the Gillam area to search for evidence and on Saturday said they found a new item that "may be of interest" to the investigation.

Four days later on another BC highway Schmegelsky and McLeod were accused of murdering 64-year-old botanist Leonard Dyck, stealing his Toyota RAV4 and driving it 3000km east across northern Canada until dumping and burning the vehicle outside the small town of Gillam, Manitoba.

McLeod and Schmegelsky, who told their families they were going to Whitehorse in search of work, were initially believed to be missing after the camper truck was found. RCMP named them suspects in the three killings on July 22, warning the public they were armed and unsafe. Police said the bodies were found less than one kilometer (0.62 miles) from the items. The two managed to elude authorities amid a nationwide manhunt that involved multiple law enforcement agencies. But two days later, on August 2, a damaged boat and several personal items linked to the fugitives were found along the Nelson River, which flows between Gillam, Man., and Fox Lake.

RCMP assistant commissioner Jane MacLatchy said the discovery should bring relief to the families of three people slain in northern B.C. and the people in Manitoba communities where officers have been searching for almost two weeks.

More details could be released as soon as Monday by RCMP in B.C., Manaigre said, adding it will ultimately be up to Mounties in that province to release any information.

Related Articles