Spider-Man Is Leaving The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Spider-Man Is Leaving The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Deadline reported on Tuesday that after failing to come to a co-financing deal, Disney and Sony have chose to part ways with the iconic superhero, meaning Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige will no longer be involved in upcoming "Spider-Man" movies.

- Similar to the official statement from Sony, a big cause for concern was the growing demands on Kevin Feige's time, as Feige is now overseeing the Disney Plus Marvel properties, the upcoming Phase 4 films, and the recent acquisition of the Fox Studios Marvel properties which includes Deadpool, Fantastic Four, and all the X-Men characters.

Spider-Man: Far From Home recently became Sony's highest-earning film of all time, its 2018 animated flick Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is an Academy Award-winner, and its Venom franchise kicked off with an impressive $856 million worldwide pull, which recently motivated Sony to greenlight a sequel with director Andy Serkis.

"We are disappointed, but respect Disney's decision not to have [Feige] continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film", said Sony in a statement on Tuesday (August 20). According to a person close to the deal who was unauthorized to speak publicly, negotiations are not yet final. Deadline also notes that he's now "being heavily courted" for other directing gigs, so this might affect his choice to helm a third installment, even after Spider-Man: Far From Home just became the biggest earner in the studio's history.

Spider-Man out of the MCU? Disney was reportedly looking to change its current arrangement with Sony, seeking a 50-50 co-financing split on future Spider-Man movies rather than the 5 percent of first-dollar gross it banks at the moment. However, Feige won't be the lead creative producer.

The reaction online has been instantaneous, with many blaming Sony for the issue.

And it was noticed at Comic-Con last month Marvel's announcements for its next phase of films and shows failed to include Spider-Man.

For now, Sony seems set on forging its own path with Spider-Man.

Sony is widely believed to be developing two more "Spider-Man" movies, with Holland reprising his role as the webslinger, but has not officially announced those titles.

Related Articles

  • Ronda Rousey Says Boat Door Nearly Severed Finger Shooting '911'

    Ronda Rousey Says Boat Door Nearly Severed Finger Shooting '911'

    Courtesy of TMZ , the former WWE Raw Women's Champion broke two fingers while filming a tense sequence last week in Mexico . The gossip site reports that Rousey remained in character for the remainder of the scene, after which Rousey said, "Ow".
    Zimbabwe court upholds police ban on Bulawayo protest

    Zimbabwe court upholds police ban on Bulawayo protest

    In a statement, the embassies said they were seriously concerned about the attacks on activists and banning of the protests. This regime must be exposed for what it is. "Our judiciary is nearly totally compromised", Coltart said.
    Thiago Silva: My feeling is that Neymar will stay at PSG

    Thiago Silva: My feeling is that Neymar will stay at PSG

    Neymar was absent from the squad for the second successive match after missing the win over Nimes on the opening weekend. The former Santos president, however, stopped short of stating where he would like his once Santos star to play next.
  • Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren in statistical tie in national poll

    Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren in statistical tie in national poll

    The same poll found Warren trailing Biden by just one point nationally - signaling a statistical tie. Kamala Harris finished fourth with 8 percent. 16% say they don't know.
    Elton John lashes out at 'malicious' reports about Harry and Meghan's visit

    Elton John lashes out at 'malicious' reports about Harry and Meghan's visit

    Private jets typically burn more fuel per person per hour, because they carry fewer passengers than commercial planes. Harry and Meghan reportedly met on a blind date the previous summer.
    Australia's Smith ruled out of rest of test

    Australia's Smith ruled out of rest of test

    Smith reportedly woke up on the morning of day five complaining of a slight headache and dizziness. Steve will undergo a precautionary scan on his neck on Sunday", the CA statement said.
  • Home and Away stars pay tribute to Ben Unwin following his death

    Former "Home & Away " actor Ben Unwin was found in his home in northern NSW on August 14 by authorities, a day before his 42nd birthday.
    Thomas in line for $15-million PGA payout

    Thomas in line for $15-million PGA payout

    The back nine ended up being even better. "I think it has the potential to be extremely intense leaderboard come the final round". Thomas then helped out by hitting his second to the par-5 10th under a tree, hitting left-handed to get it out and making bogey.
    MMA: Miocic reclaims heavyweight title with knockout win over Cormier

    MMA: Miocic reclaims heavyweight title with knockout win over Cormier

    Miocic focused on Cormier's body in the third round and used a body shot to get the build up to the knockout rolling. UFC president Dana White also said he was unsure of the American MMA superstar's future in the octagon. "'Just relax.
  • Afghanistan vows to crush Islamic State havens after horror wedding attack

    Afghanistan vows to crush Islamic State havens after horror wedding attack

    In 2017, Islamic State claimed responsibility for an attack on a mosque in a Shiite area that killed more than 50 people. A spokesperson for Afghan President Ashraf Ghani called the attack a "heinous crime against our people", Glasse says.
    Italian PM Conte denounces Salvini for toppling government

    Italian PM Conte denounces Salvini for toppling government

    Mattarella asked Conte to remain in office to carry out day-to-day government business while the discussions continue. Salvini has been maneuvering to become Italy's next leader as support for his party grows on his anti-migrant stance.
    Saudi-led coalition fires flares over Yemeni port of Aden - residents

    Saudi-led coalition fires flares over Yemeni port of Aden - residents

    AFP journalists saw Saudi and Emirati military vehicles deployed around the positions vacated by the separatists on Saturday. It reiterated Arab parliament's solidarity with Saudi Arabia in all measures it takes to protect its security and stability.