'High Probability' Saudi Attack Launched from Iran Base

'High Probability' Saudi Attack Launched from Iran Base

Shortly after Trump's sanctions announcement on Wednesday, a Saudi military spokesman in Riyadh, the Saudi capital, presented what he said was evidence of Iran's culpability, including remnants of drone and cruise missiles that he said were Iranian-made and were used in the attacks.

Yemen's Iran-backed Houthi rebels, who have claimed Saturday's strikes, vowed meanwhile they had the means to hit "dozens of targets" in the United Arab Emirates.

Iran denies being involved and has threatened the U.S.it will retaliate "immediately" if Tehran is targeted over the attack, which was claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels. Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif was to travel to NY on Friday, with Rouhani following behind Monday, according to the agency.

The message "emphasised that if any actions are taken against Iran, that action will face an immediate response from Iran and its scope will not be limited to just a threat", the official IRNA news agency said.

State media blamed the Trump administration for the delays.

Speaking in Washington, a senior USA administration official told reporters: "The Houthis claim that they attacked Saudi with 10 drones. You can count on it", according to a transcript provided by the White House.

Last month, Trump called off a military attack on Iran at the last minute after Tehran downed an unmanned U.S. military drone.

Iran, whether or not it was responsible for the attacks, has benefitted nonetheless: the vulnerability of Saudi Arabia's infrastructure and potential for disruption has been demonstrated, amplified through the global energy markets.

A total of 25 drones and missiles were used in the attacks launched from Iran, not Yemen, Defence Ministry spokesman Colonel Turki al-Malki told a news conference.

© Amr Nabil/AP The Saudi defense ministry on Wednesday displayed videos and photographs of what it said were Iranian weapons.

Saudi Arabia hopes to restore oil output by end of September

This satellite overview taken Monday from the USA government shows damage to oil/gas infrastructure from weekend drone attacks at Abqaig in Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia said on Tuesday the 5.7 million barrels per day of output lost would be fully restored by the end of the month.

Gas and oil production accounts for almost half of Saudi Arabia's GDP.

Eighteen drones and three missiles were launched at Abqaiq, home to the world's largest oil processing facility, but the missiles "fell short", Malki said.

Pence added: "The United States of America will take whatever action is necessary to defend our country, our troops, and our allies in the Gulf".

Saudi Arabia alleged Wednesday an attack by drones and cruise missiles on the heart of the kingdom's oil industry was "unquestionably sponsored by Iran", naming but not directly accusing Tehran of launching the assault.

Dr Fox added: "We have seen a constant destabilisation in the region - it now looks as though there might have been a direct attack on one of our allies in Saudi Arabia". Investigations were "ongoing to determine the source of the attack".

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman receiving US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

Saudi officials said in a press conference Wednesday they recovered Iranian cruise missiles and drones, and that they are sure that the attack came from the north.

Oil prices dipped on Tuesday as the suspected drone and missile attacks' impact on overall production appeared to be less devastating than first thought.

Related Articles