A tornado touched down in Dallas, the National Weather Service confirms

A tornado touched down in Dallas, the National Weather Service confirms

A tornado ripped through Dallas, Texas overnight, Sunday, October 20, causing structural damage and knocking out electricity to thousands, as seen in dramatic video posted to social media. Seguin is selling the home but living in another one, he said.

A tornado tore homes and businesses apart in a densely populated area of Dallas, where only minor injuries were reported, but a person was killed by a falling tree in northwest Arkansas as a late-night series of storms caused chaos in several states.

National Weather Service meteorologist Jason Godwin said the size and severity of the tornado won't be known until crews arrive to survey the damage.

The damage caused in Dallas and surrounding areas is devastating, but fortunately no deaths or severe injuries have been reported to emergency services as of Monday morning.

Almost 140,000 electric customers were without power as of 4 a.m., according to Oncor's online outage map. About 65,000 of those customers were within Dallas, according to the city, which opened the Bachman Recreation Center early Monday morning for people seeking shelter. Four homes were left uninhabitable, but no injuries had been reported.

According to the city of Dallas, the worst damage occurred in northwest Dallas, Preston Hollow, and areas around Love Field, with the area near Walnut Hill and I-35 hit so badly that roadways were shut down, including the northbound lane of I-35, due to a jackknifed big-rig truck.

"The power went out first", Morris said.

Dallas Fire-Rescue has been assessing damages from the tornado throughout the night.

Power was out at the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport in Highfill, about 155 miles (250 kilometers) northwest of Little Rock.

In Texas, heavy damage was reported in northwest Dallas and Richardson.

One Dallas resident, Tina Devlin, told the station: "I heard all the snapping of the trees and the wind blowing, and so I climbed into this bedroom closet, and just as I got in there, the roof blew off". The airport says flights were still departing, though security screenings were being done manually.

Spokesman Jason Evans says search teams conducted primary assessments on accessible structures for six hours overnight, but their efforts were "hampered by limited access and lack of proper lighting".

"Small hail and frequent lightning also will pose hazards outdoors with this line of storms". Some schools cancelled classes on Monday, and the city said in a press release that there have been reports of gas leaks.

Related Articles