Second presumptive coronavirus case in Toronto less severe than first

Second presumptive coronavirus case in Toronto less severe than first

Ontario has its first confirmed case of novel coronavirus and test results are pending on at least 20 others, the province's Associate Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Barbara Yaffe, announced during an update on Monday morning. In Kenya, the first suspected coronavirus case has been reported after a student from China was admitted at Kenyatta National Hospital with flu-like symptoms. Officials in B.C., say the prospective coronavirus patient in that province does not appear to have transmitted the virus to his family members, who are under close observation.

Sunnybrook Hospital receives first case of coronavirus - The first case of the coronavirus in Canada has been identified at the Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto.

The city says the risk to Mississauga residents remains low.

The province says his wife has been in self-isolation since arriving in Toronto with her husband last week.

The letters being sent home to students include recommendations on how to avoid the spread of the coronavirus and what symptoms those with the virus could experience.

Canada's Health Minister Patty Hajdu told reporters that the National Microbiology Laboratory will take up to 24 hours to confirm the findings on the local laboratory.

Of those, 15 people have been cleared entirely through testing, one is absolutely confirmed to have the virus, one is a presumptive positive case of the virus, and 19 others are under observation while they await test results.

He said that given patterns emerging overseas, it is unlikely all 19 people under observation will be medically cleared.

Elliott said Ontario is far better prepared to respond to any potential health risks than in the past.

But Dr. Yaffe was more optimistic, saying it could be possible all of them would be cleared. His wife is also in stable condition at her home where she is now under self-isolation.

Ontario health authorities report a second alleged case of the new coronavirus.

The mayor of Wuhan, the Chinese city at the centre of the coronavirus outbreak, has acknowledged criticism over his handling of the crisis, admitting that information was not released quickly enough.

Toronto public health is working "flat out" to try to contact those passengers on the couple's January 22 flight from Beijing most at risk of infection - people in the three rows in front of and behind the pair's own seats, said Dr. Eileen De Villa, the city's medical officer of health.

She has not required the same care as her husband as she hasn't presented symptoms as serious as her husband, he said.

Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada's top public health official, echoed Williams' comments that the risk remains low, in part because the two had close contact for an extended period of time. There are still many unknowns surrounding the virus, such as how unsafe it is and how easily it spreads between people. "We appreciate that many people have questions, however, we continue to ask that people respect these people's privacy as they recover".

Officials said the woman has been in self-isolation.

While 56 people have died of the virus in China - most of the deaths have been older patients - the World Health Organization has not declared the outbreak an worldwide public health emergency.

Related Articles