Teenager found guilty of lying over Cyprus gang-rape faces sentencing

Teenager found guilty of lying over Cyprus gang-rape faces sentencing

Many cheered when they heard that the judge handed down a suspended sentence.

"I would also like to say thank you for all the support we have received throughout the globe".

The judge said the woman had admitted to investigators that she made up the claims because she was "ashamed" after finding out that some of the Israelis had videoed her having consensual sex with her Israeli boyfriend on their mobile phones.

The Foreign Office previously issued a statement saying it was "seriously concerned" about the "fair trial guarantees in this deeply distressing case and we will be raising the issue with Cypriot authorities".

After a controversial trial, with evidence showing 35 bruises on her body and the British foreign secretary intervening to tell Cyprus to "do the right thing", the woman will appeal against her conviction.

She is due to be sentenced on January 7 and faces up to one year in jail.

All that, however, dissipated in full view outside Famagusta's district court where the Briton's fight for justice - if belatedly - struck a chord.

Asked whether the Foreign Office would advise tourists against visiting Cyprus- a former United Kingdom colony- Raab said it always keeps its travel advice "under review" and wouldn't say what he would recommend.

Her family wants London to secure her release, as she has been unable to leave the Mediterranean island since the case began.

Mr Raab told Sky: "I have conveyed our concerns about her treatment and the case to my Cypriot opposite number".

She is due to be sentenced next Tuesday, and is facing up to a year in jail.

The teenager claimed she was raped by up to 12 Israeli tourists in a hotel room in the party town of Ayia Napa on July 17.

She was subsequently arrested and the 12 young people, aged 15 to 20, who were detained for the incident, were released.

She alleged that she had her charge pressured by the police during ongoing interrogation without a lawyer present.

The "public mischief" conviction was also a source of tension between Britain and Cyprus.

Some 60 protesters, majority women, gathered in front of the Cyprus High Commission before marching towards Downing Street and Parliament Square.

Her lawyers are poised to launch an appeal and hope to fast-track proceedings in Cyprus's supreme court.

Sentencing her to four months in prison, suspended for three years, and told the packed courtroom: "I admit, I have been troubled over this".

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was pleased the woman could return home after being barred from leaving the island, a spokesman said, adding that Britain would work with Cyprus and other countries to ensure such a case could not happen again.

Holidaymakers ought to boycott Cyprus after a court docket discovered a British girl responsible of mendacity about being gang-raped by a bunch of Israeli youths, the lady's mom stated on Thursday, Reuters reviews.

"The place is not safe, it is absolutely not safe".

Pathologist Marios Matsakis, an expert witness for the woman's defence, criticised the omission and told The Mail on Sunday: 'I have no doubts that violence was exercised on the body'.

Related Articles