Coronavirus death toll rises to 563

Coronavirus death toll rises to 563

The virus has spread overseas, with 25 nations confirming a total of 191 cases, although there has so far been only two deaths outside mainland China.

The city of 11 million is facing a "severe" lack of beds, said Hu Lishan (胡立山), deputy secretary of the Chinese Communist Party's Wuhan chapter, adding that there were 8,182 patients admitted to 28 hospitals that have a total of 8,254 beds.

The virus is also stirring animosity in the decades-old dispute between Taiwan and Beijing, with the island complaining that China is providing the World Health Organization with wrong information about Taiwan's cases. Chinese citizens also account for the majority of the deaths - 565 - with just two coming from outside mainland China, in Hong Kong and the Philippines. Throughout China, cities, towns and villages have enacted varying levels of restrictions and foreign countries have severely restricted travel to and from the country.

As of Thursday, the death toll in China rose to 563, with 28,018 confirmed cases. "In addition to that, she was accompanied by no family members, as all had been placed in quarantine as either confirmed or suspected cases".

A Malaysian man and two South Koreans who attended the conference were previously confirmed to have the virus.

China's ambassador to the United Kingdom blasted the British government's travel warning for citizens to leave mainland China as excessive. "The health authority has requested that other Taiwanese passengers remain in the cabin and at least under quarantine on board for 14 days".

Gay Courter, a 75-year-old American novelist on board, said he hoped the US government would take the Americans off.

Hong Kong has been particularly nervous as the disease has revived memories of another coronavirus, the one that causes Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), which killed almost 300 people in the city and another 349 in the Chinese mainland in 2002-2003.

The Chinese government plans to start returning things to normal as early as next week, but it remains unclear whether the outbreak could be contained once the movement of people increases. Seven people were in quarantine, the symptoms were similar to Sars, and doctors should consider wearing protective equipment to prevent infection, he said.

But troubling questions about the government's response are beginning to emerge.

After initially insisting ophthalmologist Li Wenliang was still fighting for his life - despite reports that he had passed away - Wuhan Central Hospital finally confirmed the 34-year-old's death Thursday.

"As a local government official, I can only disclose this information after I've obtained approval to do so".

More cities are ordering people to stay indoors.

To arrest the spread of this virus, several global giants and deep-pocketed entrepreneurs and businessmen have also come forward, donating a significant amount to aid detection, cure, and treatment of the outbreak. "And this is the issue at the moment". Top universities stand to lose around US$2 billion (Aus$3 billion) in fees alone, according to preliminary estimates from analysts at Standard & Poor's.

Related Articles