Seven New Cases Of Coronavirus In The Republic Of Ireland

Seven New Cases Of Coronavirus In The Republic Of Ireland

IT HAS been confirmed that staff at University Hospital Limerick have been asked to self-isolate if they were in contact with anyone who has tested positive for the Coronavirus.

These measures are necessary in the interests of patient safety and have been taken by the Crisis Management Team established by UL Hospitals Group on Wednesday night, March 4, in the context of the current public health emergency.

As it stands at the time of writing, there are 13 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the Republic of Ireland.

Galway University Hospital, Merlin Park Hospital and Portiuncula Hospital have enacted strict visitor restrictions as part of infection control measures.

A visiting ban has been implemented for all six of UL Hospital Group's sites including Ennis General Hospital and University Hospital Limerick. The patient was admitted to the hospital last week before being discharged and readmitted last week.

In a statement, South/South West Hospital Group said the restrictions are "in the interest of patient care and in order to prevent the spread of infection".

Patients in any other area of the Emergency Department or the wider hospital are not considered to be contacts.

Exceptions to the ban include parents visiting children in hospital, partners of women attending the maternity hospital, people visiting patients at end of life, people assisting confused patients such as those with dementia and individuals visiting those in critical care.

Those who need to arrange a visit must contact the relevant ward manager, who will decide if a visit can be facilitated.

"No children are permitted to visit the hospital under any circumstances".

The HSE have developed an information pack on how to protect yourself and others from coronavirus.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar says the Irish government isn't recommending the cancellation of mass public gatherings due to coronavirus "at this stage".

The Government announced today that the Covid-19 Stakeholder Forum "was today provided with guidance to organisers and attendees of mass gatherings".

It emerged yesterday that the GP returned to normal practise after a skiing holiday in northern Italy, and also worked a shift in a busy hospital A & E Department.

"The current public health advice is that there is no reason to cancel any proposed mass gatherings including the St. Patrick's Day Festival".

Related Articles