Western Australia braces for 'once-in-a-decade' storm

Western Australia braces for 'once-in-a-decade' storm

The storm was caused by the remnants of a tropical cyclone meeting a cold front, and emergency services have warned of flooding and risky seas.

About 62,000 properties have experienced power outages across WA over the past three days, with about 10,000 still without electricity.

"It's like whack-a-mole at the moment, unfortunately", Western Power spokesman Paul Entwistle told 6PR radio on Monday morning.

In the Perth metropolitan area, electricity supply to about 37,000 homes and businesses was impacted by the storm.

"Some wild weather has affected large parts of WA, causing widespread damage and large scale power outages".

Some homes have also been damaged by fallen trees throughout the state.

The State of Western Australia (WA) Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) acting assistant commissioner Jon Broomhall warned residents to take particular care securing their homes and property due to the unusual nature of the weather.

The roofs of a couple of small shops in Bedford have crumbled while fallen trees crushed fences at Campbell Primary School in Canning Vale.

The conditions were rough and wild at Cottesloe Beach this morning
The conditions were rough and wild at Cottesloe Beach this morning

Multiple sailboats have washed up, a coastal footpath in Rockingham collapsed, and parts of the auto park at Port Beach in Fremantle fell into the ocean.

Even Perth's famous Crawley Edge Boatshed, a popular social media snap on Instagram, is going underwater, with its jetty already submerged.

The storm, which is expected to continue well into Monday, was described by Bureau of Meteorology state manager James Ashley as a "dynamic and complex" weather formation caused by ex-Tropical Cyclone Mangga interacting with a cold front.

Wind gusts of up to 132km/h (82mph) were recorded at Cape Leeuwin in the far southwest of the state.

Additionally, high tides swarmed the country's west coast, with many areas recording their highest tides of the year.

Warnings were issued for damaging winds up to 100km/h, heavy rain and massive waves from Albany to the Kimberley Coast - a distance of about 3,000km.

Several sites in the Pilbara region received up to 50mm, while agricultural areas had up to 20mm overnight.

The official Australian cyclone season ended on 30 April, and the Bureau of Meteorology said while some cyclones were known to form in early May, it was rare to see one so late in the month.

Related Articles