Nick Kyrgios: Americans 'selfish' to go ahead with US Open tennis tournament

Nick Kyrgios: Americans 'selfish' to go ahead with US Open tennis tournament

"We would have to sleep in hotels at the airport, to be tested three times per week".

Another of the changes is that the Western and Southern Open, which usually takes place in Cincinnati just before the US Open, has been moved to NY and will also be staged at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Centre from 22-28 August.

Defending men's champion Rafael Nadal and both No. 1-ranked players, Novak Djokovic and Ash Barty, have expressed varying levels of concern about heading to NY.

It remains to be seen if the players participate in the tournament.

Rafael Nadal of Spain wins the U.S. Open tennis championships in NY, U.S., September 8, 2019.

Kyrgios also slammed the ATP Tour as selfish earlier this month for pressing ahead with plans to play the U.S. Open while the virus had not been contained and with the streets of U.S. cities filled with protests at the death of George Floyd.

"We will have more details and an official announcement tomorrow", Mike Dowse, USTA Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director, said. "Also, we could bring one person to the club, which is really impossible", Djokovic said. One player who already has stepped out of the US Open is five-time victor Roger Federer, who recently shut down his 2020 season due to a setback from rehabbing a knee injury he suffered earlier in the year. Nadal's inclusion is highly questionable, as the French Open - which he has won a record 12 times - will be running from September 20 to October 4 of this year, just one week following the conclusion of the US Open men's final.

"But if the conditions are as set out on paper for U.S. Open, as Simo (Halep) has been consistent in saying, it's highly unlikely she will play".

As per reports, the USTA opted to move the tournament to NY in order to minimize travel for players taking part in both tournaments.

Attendance is a crucial component of that revenue and makes up most of the organization's $161 million in ticket revenue.

No professional tennis tournaments have been held since March due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left the sport's calendar in tatters, and the shutdown will extend until August.

Today, June 16, Governor Cuomo announced that the renowned tennis tournament, the U.S. Open, is approved to continue on this year.

.

Related Articles