New cases suggest longer Auckland lockdown

New cases suggest longer Auckland lockdown

According to the Ministry of Health, 68% of New Zealand's cases are imported or linked to imported cases. According to the Ministry of Health, these two tested positive after a visit from a contact of one of the Auckland cases. The game will now be considered a draw, with both teams awarded two points, a statement from New Zealand Rugby said.

Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters said late on Thursday that a quarantine facility breach had been identified as the source, but Hipkins said there was no evidence for that yet.

Ardern said she would use all the time available to her before making a call ahead of Parliament's rescheduled dissolution on Monday, but whichever way she goes it is likely to attract some criticism.

"Our current expectation is that by this time, the perimeter of the cluster will be identified, will be isolated, and we can move to level two in Auckland with confidence".

The crisis erupted when four family members in Auckland returned positive tests on Tuesday, ending New Zealand's run of 102 days with no reported community transmission.

Health Minister Chris Hipkins said genome testing suggested the new virus outbreak had originated in Britain or Australia, but officials were still investigating how the family in Auckland contracted it. There are some symptomatic people - of course they have been tested, they are in isolation and all appropriate tests are being taken.

A nurse tests people for Covid-19 at the Otara town centre testing facility on August 14, 2020 in Auckland, New Zealand.

But Mr Elder was upbeat and said the congregation would pray for the city and particularly for people who were vulnerable.

The total number is now 524,414. "Tthere are 16 stations around Auckland and it is free at your local GP".

More than one million New Zealanders and more than 20 per cent of Kiwis have downloaded the official contact tracing app.

The earliest coronavirus case linked to the current outbreak became symptomatic on July 31 after visiting a store in Wellington.

However, Dr Bloomfield also said he'd received reports of abuse or attacks towards some health workers, labelling that "completely unacceptable".

He also said the chief executive of Pharmac had notified him that people were starting to stockpile medicines.

"That will mean it will be very hard for some other people to get the medicines".

The new confirmed cases bring New Zealand's total number of cases to 1251.

He pointed out that pharmacies would remain open.

Grant Robertson said the Government has decided that the extended wage subsidy will apply nationwide, particularly given the significance of Auckland's economy to the wider country, and due to the impact Alert Level 2 would have on sectors like hospitality and retail.

Arden and Director General of Health Ashley Bloomfield revealed the lockdown decision from the Beehive this evening.

Following that meeting the prime minister will address the media at Parliament.

Related Articles