Ontario reports 700 new COVID-19 cases, almost half in Toronto

Ontario reports 700 new COVID-19 cases, almost half in Toronto

Please download the COVID Alert app.

"It's absolutely critical", said the premier.

Most of Ontario's 700 new cases were reported in the Greater Toronto Area and Ottawa. "I know that we're going to be doing something about it", he said. "The reality is it's up to each of us, together".

Speaking on CTV News at Noon, Dr. Paul Roumeliotis notes that the 700 new cases that were reported in Ontario on Monday are, so far, an anomaly compared to previous days.

The province says that more than 41,000 tests were completed, while nearly 50,000 are still under investigation. Between mid-April and mid-May, for instance, the average number of daily tests was approximately 13,200.

In the legislature's question period, Elliott again pressed the federal government to approve more rapid, on-the-spot tests that don't need to be sent to labs.

"We need to be more cautious than in the first round, not less". "But we can not be presumptive on that basis". The province has also recorded its 20th death linked to the virus.

Another Ottawan has lost their life to COVID-19, Ottawa Public Health reported Monday.

The recommendations by de Villa will also include extending face mask bylaws, as well as measures to urge the province of Ontario to make masks mandatory in non-public workplaces.

Hospital occupancy is rising in Ontario, with capacity created at the pandemic's onset in the spring now filled, Dale said.

Ontario Ministry of Health recorded a total 50,531 COVID-19 cases and a reported 2,840 deaths to date.

Last week, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau pleaded with the public to respect public health guidelines, as Canada's top doctor said the country is "at a crossroads" when it comes to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Currently, there are no plans to move the regions back to Stage 2, Elliott told reporters, but the option is certainly on the table. But if we do have to, we will. "But if we do have to, we will, because the most important thing is to help the wellbeing of the people of Ontario".

There are now outbreaks declared at nine Ottawa schools, while more than 60 schools have at least one confirmed case in a student or staff member.

The city's two assessment centres have now conducted more than 70,000 COVID-19 tests since they opened. Twenty-nine people are now in ICU, with 17 on ventilators. The most recent case is related to travel, and is now one of four active cases in Sudbury at the present time.

Ontario will invest over $52 million into recruiting and training over 3,700 additional healthcare workers and caregivers to support an already strained healthcare system against the second wave of COVID-19, Premier Doug Ford announced.

'The question is, which type of second wave is it?'

There is one new outbreak at a long-term care home, bringing the total number of outbreaks at such facilities in Ontario to 33.

Without public health measures in place to limit opportunities for disease transmission, Ontario will soon see higher numbers of hospitalizations, admissions to intensive care units (ICUs), and more deaths.

Related Articles