The Queen's surprising last-minute plan to move to Sandringham revealed

The Queen's surprising last-minute plan to move to Sandringham revealed

A spokesman said: "The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will depart Balmoral Castle during the week commencing September 14 to spend time privately on the Sandringham Estate".

Buckingham Palace has confirmed that the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh would be leaving their summer break at Balmoral next week, earlier than usual.

A general view of an entrance to the Sandringham estate.

The 94-year-old royal matriarch's countryside retreat will host a makeshift drive-in theatre for one weekend in September, with screenings of a variety of films ranging from 2018's A Star is Born to last year's World War I epic 1917.

Her Majesty usually spends winter at Sandringham, travelling to Norfolk after a Christmas party for the extended family in December, returning to London after marking the death of her father, King George VI, on February 6.

The press release also revealed that Queen Elizabeth could return to Buckingham Palace this year for special audiences and engagements as long as they follow the U.K.'s COVID-19 protocol. "These plans will be kept under review and will of course be subject to all relevant guidance and advice".

It is thought Prince Philip will remain at Sandringham for the duration.

Meanwhile, the Queen is set to host a drive-in cinema on her Sandringham estate.

The couple went ahead with their annual stay in the Highlands after spending the previous four months at their Berkshire residence with a reduced household dubbed HMS Bubble.

According to published reports, the Queen and her husband, Prince Phillip, are now residing at Balmoral Estate in Scotland.

Members of the royal family have visited the Queen and Prince Philip, including the Earl and Countess of Wessex, Princess Eugenie and her husband Jack Brooksbank and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

According to its website, guided tours of the grounds, exhibitions and ballroom at Balmoral will be available from Saturday October 3.

Related Articles

  • Nikola & GM challenge Tesla with world’s ‘most badass’ 900-horsepower electric truck

    Nikola & GM challenge Tesla with world’s ‘most badass’ 900-horsepower electric truck

    She said the electric vehicle platform and batteries are attractive to other companies, which is a huge opportunity for GM. GM has its own battery electric truck, a GMC Hummer, due to go on sale a year ahead of the Badger .
    Multiple people injured in series of stabbings in England

    Multiple people injured in series of stabbings in England

    Police in Birmingham in central England said they were seeking a single suspect in relation to the series of stabbings. AM we were called to Irving Street where sadly one man lost his life and another man suffered serious injuries.
    Chelsea close to seventh summer signing in Edouard Mendy

    Chelsea close to seventh summer signing in Edouard Mendy

    And it was: a fourth-placed Premier League finish meant the Stamford Bridge conveyor belt would - for the time being - be reserved only for players.
  • Buttler to miss the final T20I against Australia

    Buttler to miss the final T20I against Australia

    I've played a lot of my career - T20 and one-day cricket - batting in the middle, so I'm very comfortable doing that as well. The teams will now lock horns with each other on the final match of the T20I series on September 8 at Southampton .
    80 special trains from September 12

    80 special trains from September 12

    Yadav said the railways will monitor all the trains that are now in operation to determine which trains have a long waiting list. The national transporter, however, announced that 230 special trains which are running at present, will continue to operate.
    Four people found dead in home east of Toronto, police say — NewsAlert

    Four people found dead in home east of Toronto, police say — NewsAlert

    The shooter is believed to be Loretta Traynor's brother, according to an online obituary posted in 2019 for their father. A police statement said he was a relative of the family living at the residence in Oshawa , Ontario.
  • Aussies to get free UQ COVID vaccine

    Aussies to get free UQ COVID vaccine

    The federal government has the option to order 200 million more doses. Late stage phase 3 trials are underway for the Oxford vaccine.
    Kawhi efficient, as Clippers rout Nuggets to take West semis opener

    Kawhi efficient, as Clippers rout Nuggets to take West semis opener

    The last time he failed to score a field goal in the second half of a playoff game was April 30, 2015. Nuggets: Denver matched a season-best for any quarter with 44 points in the first.

    Sanofi France chief: Future Covid-19 vaccine seen below €10

    Aaron Glatt, chair of the Department of Medicine and chief of infectious diseases at Mount Sinai South Nassau in NY . If successful, the Oxford vaccines would be available from the start of next year, and the UQ ones from mid year.
  • Doom Eternal Official GeForce RTX 3080 4K Gameplay Video Revealed

    Doom Eternal Official GeForce RTX 3080 4K Gameplay Video Revealed

    The new GeForce RTX 3000 series will be officially launching in the coming months but in waves. So if you're looking to upgrade your gaming gear, you have a major choice to make.
    Seed Novak Djokovic disqualified from US Open after hitting judge with ball

    Seed Novak Djokovic disqualified from US Open after hitting judge with ball

    Open, a tournament he was favourite to win to close the gap on Rafael Nadal's total of 19 grand slam wins and Roger Federer's 20. He was 26-0 this year heading into Sunday's affair and was the overwhelming favorite to capture his fourth US Open title.
    Doubles team out of U.S. Open due to quarantine order

    Doubles team out of U.S. Open due to quarantine order

    In a statement, the USTA said Nassau County public health officials issued a quarantine preventing travel to the US Open site. The players who were in contact with him have been told they would not be allowed to fly out of NY until next week.