Did Martin Bashir fake documents to interview Princess Diana?

Did Martin Bashir fake documents to interview Princess Diana?

According to the documents, reported in the ITV documentary, Hall said that while Bashir was "an honest man" who was "deeply remorseful", Wiessler would never work at the BBC again because he had spoken to the media about the events. "I was pretty angry ... because I thought it was utterly unfair".

"The director general has set out that there needs to be an investigation into this and the Prime Minister thinks that's the right course of action".

Nevertheless, Bashir, now the BBC's faith editor, will not be obtainable.

These new particulars got here to mild as half of the analysis carried out by journalist Andy Webb, who wrote and directed "Diana: The Reality Behind the Interview", a documentary that aired on one other U.Okay. broadcaster, Channel 4, on October 21.

He added: "The person that needs to come forward is Martin Bashir". He claimed these statements were used to help the reporter gain access to the princess.

The cast statements allegedly confirmed that two senior courtiers had been being paid by safety companies for info on Diana.

20, 1995 interview, which aired on the BBC's program Panorama, the Princess spoke about how she desperately wanted her marriage to Prince Charles to work.

Michael Grade, a former BBC chairman, branded the accusations "a very, very serious matter", in a radio interview with the corporation, adding it left "a dark cloud hanging over BBC journalism".

Matt Weissler says he has been blacklisted by the BBC and feels guilty for not realizing what Martin Bashir asked him to
Matt Weissler says he has been blacklisted by the BBC and feels guilty for not realizing what Martin Bashir asked him to

"It's a bit like blaming the pen for writing a nasty letter", Wiessler advised the BBC Radio 4 "At the moment" program on Tuesday.

Steve Brine, the Conservative MP for Winchester, where Mr Bashir was until recently a constituent, threw his support behind Diana's bother's calls for an inquiry and said he will look into the allegations with other MPs on the committee.

Many have wondered how this interview came to fruition, especially since Diana was still in the grasp of the royal family, and now the BBC, who aired the interview and currently employ Bashir, is investigating Bashir and his questionable tactics to secure Diana's trust at the time.

He claimed his flat was burgled soon after the interview and only two computer discs were taken - containing the back-up copies he made of the statements. They claim Diana wasn't misled. The BBC says it has apologized for the faked statements.

Hailed by British journalists at the time as "the scoop of the century", it was viewed by an estimated 23 million people and catapulted her BBC interviewer, Martin Bashir, to an worldwide profile.

A month later, the Queen urged the separated couple to divorce, which they did in 1996. In August 1997 Princess Diana died in a auto accident in Paris, leading to massive mourning around the globe.

Monckton said had it not been for the interview, Princess Diana would have still been alive.

Related Articles