'Gutted' Murray opts out of Australian Open

'Gutted' Murray opts out of Australian Open

Badosa is believed to be the fourth competitor to test positive in hotel quarantine, but is the first to identify herself publicly.

In a social media post, Badosa wrote: 'I have some bad news.

After heading to Australia, 72 players set to compete in the tournament have been largely confined to their rooms for two weeks after passengers on their flights tested positive.

The statement said that the RFET "understand" the measures are taken for the good of everyone, but called for the confinement to be "compatible with the mental and physical health of the athletes".

Last year, the Australian Grand Prix was cancelled at the 11th hour after a member of McLaren team personnel tested positive for Covid-19 - the effects of the pandemic at that point only just beginning to be felt across the world. "I'm feeling unwell and have symptoms".

Australian Open tennis players enter the quarantine zone as they arrive to train at Melbourne Park.

On Twitter, Badosa had been a critic of the isolation program, saying it was "unfair" to have to go into hard lockdown because others on the plane had tested positive.

"That's an unfortunate outcome for anyone who becomes a confirmed case - the isolation period starts from when that case is confirmed", Sutton said. Those tweets have since been deleted.

The Scot, a five-time runner-up in Melbourne, was unable to travel on one of the charter flights laid on by tournament organisers after recording a positive test.

In a statement carried by The Guardian and other United Kingdom media outlets, Murray said: "Gutted to share that I won't be flying out to Australia to compete at the Australian Open".

Murray had withdrawn from the Delray Beach Open in Florida this month, saying he wanted to "minimise the risks" of contracting the virus through global travel ahead of the Australian Open.

The Australian Open is scheduled to start on February 8, three weeks after its original start date.

Murray has reached the final of the Australian Open on more occasions than any other Grand Slam in his career but is yet to win the tournament.

The men's governing body said Bernardes' illness was not related to the novel coronavirus while local media outlets, including Yahoo Australia, said the Brazilian umpire had suffered a heart attack.

Related Articles