Ray Shows OAP's Dentures Stuck In Throat For Eight Days After Operation

Ray Shows OAP's Dentures Stuck In Throat For Eight Days After Operation

The unnamed man, described as a 72-year-old retired electrician, went to the emergency room because he was having difficulty swallowing and was coughing up blood, according to an article in the BMJ, a United Kingdom -based medical journal.

6 days after the operation, the man went to the hospital's emergency room complaining of blood in his mouth along with difficulties breathing and swallowing, making him unable to eat solid food.

He had been prescribed mouthwash, steroids, and antibiotics to treat what doctors thought was a respiratory infection from having a tube down his throat.

An X-ray shows dentures in a senior's throat.

"There are no set national guidelines on how dentures should be managed during anesthesia", Cunniffe wrote, adding that many hospitals allow false teeth to be left in place until right before a patient is intubated.

Apparently, the man had also undergone surgery the week before, during which he believed his dentures had fallen out of his mouth.

Over the next six weeks, however, his tissue healed, he did not require any more emergency care, and his blood count returned to normal, according to the August 12 BMJ Case Reports.

After a couple of days he was again discharged, but returned six days later because of further bleeding.

"He was also feeling short of breath, particularly when lying down, and had taken to sleeping upright", Harriet Cunniffe, an ear, nose and throat surgeon at Universities Hospitals NHS in Yarmouth noted.

A British man who had a minor procedure was back in the hospital about a week later, thanks to something he swallowed during the surgery.

At this point, he was re-admitted to the hospital.

Cunniffe stressed to doctors to "always listen to your patient" and not rely as heavily on imaging and laboratory tests.

They became lodged in his throat during surgery and weren't discovered until eight days later.

Bouts of bleeding brought him back to the hospital a week later, and then 10 days after that. And that's when the man revealed that his partial dentures had mysteriously gotten lost about a week earlier.

When the man was told about the unidentified object, he remembered his missing dentures - a metallic plate with three front teeth affixed to it. It turned out that an artery had been torn in the wound.

The authors of the report state that this is not the first instance of dentures being inhaled while anaesthetic is being administered.

The report concluded that all members of surgical teams must be aware of dentures before and after surgery, as well know what to do with them during the procedure.

Related Articles