Harvey Weinstein has back surgery

Harvey Weinstein has back surgery

A lawyer for one of the women who brought lawsuits accusing Harvey Weinstein of sexual misconduct says a proposed settlement for most of the Hollywood producer's alleged victims was unfair and created to pressure her into accepting it.

Weinstein was first exposed by The New York Times and subsequently by Newyorker in 2017, leading to the #MeToo movement where women came forward to narrate their stories of sexual abuse.

Per the Times, the settlement "would not require the Hollywood producer to admit wrongdoing or pay anything to his accusers himself, according to lawyers involved in the negotiations". At least two of the 30 victims told the Times that they plan on challenging these terms in court.

Weinstein's lawyer, Donna Rotunno, revealed last week her client needed surgery after being involved in a auto accident in August.

"None of us has any interest in strong-arming any survivor into the settlement", said Elizabeth Fegan, a lawyer representing nine Weinstein accusers and a proposed class of accusers, said in an email.

The litigation is separate from criminal charges that Weinstein faces in NY, where prosecutors have accused him of sexually assaulting two women, one in 2006 and another in 2013.

Weinstein is scheduled to go on trial in Manhattan on January 6 next year on criminal charges of sexually assaulting two women, and has pleaded not guilty.

She said she was "about to riot", after hearing the news.

"There isn't enough money we'd like to see made available to the victims". The money would be paid from insurance companies that represented the Weinstein Company. The latter has said he flagged company executives about Weinstein's alleged behaviour. "This settlement is more than a maths problem", she wrote.

"The most troubling aspect of this settlement is a punitive provision created to force victims to settle", Giuffra said in a statement that included the names of several other lawyers from his firm.

Anti-sexual harassment campaign group Time's Up tweeted: "If this is the best the survivors could get, the system is broken". He is also required to wear an electronic ankle monitor.

Assistant District Attorney Joan Illuzzi-Orbon told the court Weinstein had dozens of monitoring violations, arising from moments when a device was either out of cell service range or left at home. Another $18.5 million would be put aside for women who are part of a class-action case, the NY attorney general's suit, and any future claimants, and would be doled out to said potential recipients based on the severity of Weinstein's alleged harm to them.

Related Articles