Palace: Prince Philip in hospital as 'precautionary measure'

Palace: Prince Philip in hospital as 'precautionary measure'

The 98-year-old royal and husband to the Queen, traveled by vehicle from Norfolk to the King Edward VII Hospital in London.

Prince Philip was admitted to King Edward VII Hospital in London on Friday (December 20).

It comes as Queen Elizabeth made her way to Norfolk, where the British Royal Family celebrate the Christmas holidays, on their Sandringham Estate.

A spokesperson for the palace said last month: "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are looking forward to extended family time towards the end of this month". The palace said Philip didn't travel by ambulance and his admission wasn't an emergency.

In 2017 he spent two nights in the King Edward VII hospital and was hospitalized for 10 days in 2018 for a hip replacement.

A Buckingham Palace statement said the admission was a precautionary measure advised by the duke's doctor.

He missed out on the celebrations past year, however, he was believed to be in good health.

She added later that the Duke "walked into the hospital".

He has not been seen in public since the wedding of Elizabeth's first cousin once removed, Gabriella Windsor, in May at Windsor Castle, local media reported. The Duke has not been making such appearances ever since he retired from his royal duties in 2017.

The open, volatile and intensely private prince, who has a reputation for brusque commentary and occasional gaffe, has been in need of hospital treatment several times in recent years.

The prince is expected to be in the hospital for a few days.

That same evening, he was admitted to King Edward VII's Hospital as a precautionary measure, for treatment for an infection arising from a pre-existing condition.

January 2019 - involved in a vehicle crash when the Land Rover Freelander he was driving flipped over after colliding with another auto.

Related Articles