F1 teams reveal 'shock' over FIA's Ferrari settlement in joint statement

F1 teams reveal 'shock' over FIA's Ferrari settlement in joint statement

In a dramatic and highly unusual move, seven Formula One teams have jointly threatened legal action after the sport's world governing body reached a private settlement with Ferrari over a controversial power unit.

Mercedes, Red Bull, McLaren, Renault, Racing Point, Alpha Tauri and Williams co-signed the letter.

The teams - all those not powered by Ferrari engines - said they had been "surprised and shocked" by an FIA statement issued at the end of the final day of pre-season testing in Spain last week.

"An global sporting regulator has the responsibility to act with the highest standards of governance, integrity and transparency", the letter read.

The FIA announced on Friday that it had concluded its analysis of the way Ferrari operated its power unit and reached a settlement with the team, adding that "the specifics of the agreement will remain between the parties".

In their letter, the teams said they intended "to pursue full and proper disclosure in this matter, to ensure that our sport treats all competitors fairly and equally". Formula One managing director Ross Brawn, a former Ferrari technical director as well as ex-principal of Mercedes F1, could not shed any light on the settlement when asked by Reuters on Tuesday.

"We reserve our rights to seek legal redress". These focused on whether it was legal to adapt cars' mandatory fuel-flow metre in ways that allowed them to bypass the regulation limit of 100kg per hour.

However, if Ferrari were or indeed are unable to prove that they were not running the illegal components for the entirety of the season up to the United States Grand Prix, the effect would be huge.

The details of the settlement were kept private other than the FIA saying that it and Ferrari had agreed to "a number of technical commitments that will improve the monitoring of all Formula 1 power-units for forthcoming championship seasons".

The only teams not to sign the statement were Ferrari and its customer teams Haas and Alfa Romeo.

Ferrari's peerless straight-line speed was the subject of enormous suspicion on the F1 grid last season, despite the fact that the team again failed to seriously challenge for the drivers' and constructors' championships.

Red Bull received clarification on the issue from the FIA after it sent a series of questions to the sport's governing body.

Ferrari finished second in the constructors' championship past year, with Charles Leclerc winning twice and Sebastian Vettel once.

According to the BBC, the FIA had investigated Ferrari's engines in which the team had managed to "circumvent restrictions on fuel flow". "Had that not been the case, if there would have been any non-legality, it would have come out at the very first check".

Related Articles