A few storms return today; tropics remain active — FIRST ALERT FORECAST

A few storms return today; tropics remain active — FIRST ALERT FORECAST

The traditionally busier weeks of the Atlantic hurricane season are upon us, and two new tropical storms may develop this week.

The system continues to produce a concentrated area of showers and thunderstorms mainly on the west side of the disturbance.

Forecasters say it has a low 30 percent chance of development in the next two days and a high 70 percent chance in the next five days when "environmental conditions are expected to become more conducive for the development of a tropical depression". The reason for the delay in development is due to its forward speed. One is moving into the Caribbean and could be in the Gulf this weekend.

The disturbance is producing a large area of cloudiness and disorganized showers and is forecast to move west-northwestward fairly quickly at 15 to 20 miles per hour during the next few days, according to the hurricane center.

By early next week, however, conditions are forecast to become less favourable for tropical cyclone formation while it moves west-north-westward at 15 to 20 miles per hour toward the central tropical Atlantic. Keep checking in as this forecast is likely to change. Formation chances are high in the next two days at 90%, and in the next five days also at 90%.

98L tracking shows path near Florida. There is plenty of time to watch both of these, and it's too soon to say if there will be any impact to the FOX 8 viewing area.

The closest system to the Caribbean is moving at 20mph.and despite having a lot of deep tropical convection.it isn't organized and doesn't have a center of circulation- so it has a slightly lower chance of developing than the system closer to the coast of Africa. But remember: there is still uncertainty, so don't panic. And it has already been a record-breaking hurricane season. Making sure you are when things are still quiet is a good idea.

Related Articles