Melbourne man tests positive for COVID-19 after returning home from quarantine

Melbourne man tests positive for COVID-19 after returning home from quarantine

The Ministry of Health is not recommending any changes to the Australian travel bubble after the announcement of a community case in Melbourne, stating the health risk is low.

He returned to his home in the Melbourne suburb of Wollert on Tuesday last week and developed symptoms on Saturday.

Authorities say he visited several locations across Melbourne and may have been infectious since May 6.

The domestic flight and Adelaide and Melbourne airports are not among the exposure sites as the man isn't believed to have been infectious at the time.

Local health authorities are on alert after the man's infection was confirmed, with 12 exposure sites confirmed.

Anyone who arrived from the Greater Melbourne area since Thursday, May 6 are required to check in with the Victoria Department of Health and Human Services website and immediately follow the outlined public health advice.

Messages have also been sent to nearly 400,000 people who live near the exposure sites.

But Victoria's COVID-19 response commander Jeroen Weimar said the health department was contacting passengers through the flight manifest, asking them to take a precautionary test.

It comes after a man in his 30s tested positive despite completing hotel quarantine. The two Metro Trains services have been declared as tier two sites, meaning that commuters must remain isolated until they receive a negative test result.

The man is expected to be transferred to mandatory quarantine once released from hospital.

South Australia conducts coronavirus tests for hotel quarantine guests on days one, five, nine and 13 of people's stays, and on all of those occasions, the Victorian man tested negative.

Victoria's Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton says it was "absolutely the case" that the man contracted the virus while serving his hotel quarantine in South Australia but said there were positives that his close contacts had produced negative tests.

Western Australia's Chief Medical Officer, Dr Andrew Robertson, said anyone who visited a potential exposure site in Greater Melbourne at the times indicated should get tested for coronavirus immediately and quarantine for 14 days from the date of exposure.

"We are going to need a strong border control and a strong quarantine control likely for years", Victorian Health Minister Martin Foley said at the news conference.

"We believe any risk to WA remains very low", he said.

Anyone wanting to enter Western Australia, Queensland or the Northern Territory from Victoria must quarantine for 14 days if they have been to any of the alert zones.

Though Australia has largely eradicated the virus with border closures, Victoria has had most of the coronavirus cases and deaths and spent much of 2020 in lockdown.

Victoria's Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton suspects the man picked it up in the hotel, and not in India or during his worldwide flights.

"People should wear masks when they can't physically distance from others, especially in indoor settings". But we don't know who they are.

A new list of locations has been released, linked to the positive local case.

People affected have been asked to call the Department of Health on 1300 651 160.

Related Articles