Ont wants to suspend arrival of int'l students

Ont wants to suspend arrival of int'l students

If it were up to him, the premier said he'd shut down Toronto's Pearson International Airport and Ontario's land borders to keep variants of the COVID-19 virus out of the province.

"Everyone arriving in the country needs to show up with a negative PCR test from the last 72 hours, gets tested on arrival, goes into a strict quarantine for two weeks in a secure quarantine locations.and has to do a third test on day eight to ensure that they are negative", Trudeau said.

"Because at this time Ontario is the only province requesting this, we're happy to work more narrowly with them", Trudeau said. He says no other province has made the same request.

According to CBC News, the premier has sent a letter to the federal government asking for the government-sanctioned mandatory three-day hotel quarantine at airports to be extended to the land border.

Health Minister Christine Elliott and Solicitor General Sylvia Jones say the measure would bolster the province's defences against unsafe COVID-19 variants.

Ontario reported 3,887 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday.

"In fact, we learned yesterday that 90 per cent of average daily cases this week are variants of concern, the same variants that fuelled our devastating third wave". "But last night, Premier Ford told me that he wanted us to suspend the arrival of worldwide students coming into Ontario".

In the past two weeks, according to the letter, 150,000 people (in addition to essential commercial truckers) have crossed Canada's land borders, including dozens who crossed between April 24-26 after arriving from countries where direct flights to Canada are now banned.

"As for the workplace, where these variants coming in, well, the variants within the workplace ... are coming from the borders", he said. "We could one day soon face a variant that is resistant to our vaccines, we are hearing about new ones every week".

Trudeau said the government came up with a mechanism for the provinces to do just that earlier in the pandemic.

The province is also now offering the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine to people aged 30 to 39 with underlying health conditions, including severe obesity, chronic liver disease and HIV.

Health officials said there were 295 new COVID-19 cases and one death related to the virus.

The science table presented the latest COVID-19 modelling data on Thursday.

"This is exciting news", she added, echoing comments at a separate news conference by Quebec Health Minister Christian Dube who announced that the province "will be able to give a first dose to all adult Quebecers who want it by June 24".

Related Articles