QLD declares part of Melbourne a COVID hotspot

QLD declares part of Melbourne a COVID hotspot

Thousands of people in Melbourne have been ordered to self isolate and undergo COVID-19 tests with health alerts issued for several sites, including one of the largest shopping centres in the country.

Anyone experiencing symptoms is advised to get tested immediately.

Acting Premier of Victoria James Merlino said the restrictions were "a responsible step".

The positive case sat in zone four, level one, of the Great Southern Stand, at the Punt Road end of the ground, to watch Collingwood's nail-biting loss to Port Adelaide on Sunday, the Department of Health said.

Victoria was the hardest-hit state during a second wave late past year, accounting for about 70% of total cases and 90% of deaths in Australia.

The full list of sites is available at COVID-19 Areas of Concern and as of Tuesday morning (25 May) included two sites in Epping, one in Maribyrnong and one in Bundoora.

The club has said it is conducting its own contact tracing, and will request Football Victoria to move the fixture. It's likely there were infectious for multiple days.

She said the Government was having a "discussion as a team" as to whether the new cases in Melbourne would impact on two-way travel.

In early May, quarantine-free travel between New Zealand and New South Wales was suspended for two days after new community cases were discovered in Sydney.

But Victoria's Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said on Tuesday morning authorities were yet to establish a "definitive link" between the Wollert man and the Whittlesea cases.

FOUR new cases of coronavirus have been detected on Tuesday afternoon, linked to the City of Whittlesea outbreak.

"An epidemiological link has yet to be determined between these cases and there is now no known link between people in the current outbreak and any of the exposure sites from Wollert [the May 11 case]", Hipkins said.

People who live in metropolitan Melbourne can still travel to regional Victoria - however the rules will accompany them when they leave the city, meaning they will still need to wear a mask indoors and the person they visit will only be allowed five visitors to their house that day.

Victorian health authorities have revealed further exposure sites as part of Melbourne's growing COVID cluster, including a major shopping centre and a McDonald's.

Under the revised restrictions - in place until at least 4 June - schools, workplaces, bars, cafes and restaurants can stay open.

Anyone who has been at a location of interest has also been banned from travelling to New Zealand, irrespective of whether they have travelled interstate since then.

"Anyone in New Zealand who has been at a location of interest in Melbourne at the specified time should contact Healthline as soon as possible for advice on isolating and testing".

The ministry also recommends that anyone in New Zealand who has visited Melbourne since May 11 should monitor for symptoms and if any develop, seek advice on testing from Healthline.

Related Articles