Ford says announcement on schools coming in 'next day or two'

Ford says announcement on schools coming in 'next day or two'

Ford is scheduled to address the media with Education Minister Stephen Lecce and Health Minister Christine Elliott Wednesday at 1pm.

CTVNewsWindsor.ca will stream the news conference live.

CTV News Toronto reports that the decision on whether to leave Ontario classrooms closed for the remainder of the school year is partly based on public opinion polling, commissioned by the Progressive Conservative government, which pitted schools against the economy.

The decision come after the Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams, local medical officers of health and the Ontario Science Advisory Table advised the government to reopen in-person learning.

Ontario schools have been closed to in-person since April 12 following a devastating third wave of COVID-19, while students in Thunder Bay have been learning from home since March 1 when cases were surging in the city.

There are just over three weeks left in the school year.

Families across Ontario have been waiting for an announcement on whether or not schools would reopen this year or remain under virtual learning until September.

Ford sent a note to various health and education stakeholders last week asking for advice on whether it would be safe to reopen for in-person learning.

Ford asked seven questions to doctors, scientists, and educators, including whether the B.1.617 COVID-19 variant first discovered in India poses an increased risk to students and education workers.

"In recent weeks, there has been a wide range of advice and commentary around the reopening of schools in Ontario", wrote the Premier. "That is the reason and the member [of the] opposition knows it to be true".

Premier Doug Ford says his government will announce a decision soon on whether schools will re-open for June.

Related Articles